2014-2015

Friday, September 17, 2010

Socializing....

So, thinking on the whole "cutsey names" thing, I think I've come up with a few! I'll likely have to think longer and harder about the older kids; I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate the names I've given them. HA. N is still very young, so his personality is still shining through, but for now, he can be "chatterbox" cause he loves to talk. L can be "the dancing queen", cause, well, she's the queen and she loves to dance. So far, for J, I have "scarecrow" for several reasons, only one of which being how skinny he is. I'm a bit too ashamed to fess up to the remainder of the nickname, hence the reason for rethinking it (hint: his theme song is easily seen on "The Wizard of Oz"). and K, well, I thought of "miss artsyfartsy" right away, cause she likes art a LOT, and, well, I'll let you guess the rest. As I said, not sure those 2 will stick for now ;)


Yesterday was interesting. It was potentially a disaster, but I think it worked out okay. I've been looking around trying to figure something out for K (Miss ArtsyFartsy) to do with photography; the child is ALWAYS stealing my camera to take pics of stuff!! Pretty soon, its going to get to where she doesn't even ask before she snags it, and then I'll be uploading pics to Facebook, going "where the hell did that come from?!"

Anyway, I was pointed in the direction of the 4-H club to get her into the photography thing, and so I looked it up and asked around; I was basically given the run around, and Jon said that was a sign of things to come, and maybe we shouldn't bother. I still wanted to check it out first before writing it off. I was given the E-mail to one person who was the head secretary or something; she told me "the best way to find out anything is to go to a meeting". Great. The meetings are on the third Thursday of every month; and of course this was the third FRIDAY of the month, so I had to wait a whole freaking month to find out anything!!

So, I was all set and ready to go to check out the September meeting. A few weeks ago, I got an E-mail stating that the location of the meeting had changed to the Noonday Community Center… I responded directly to the E-mail, asking for directions. she responded with "the physical address is… the directions are … " and I left it at that. I didn't bother to READ the directions, I would NEED them for a few more weeks; totally my fault.

So, I forwarded the directions to Jon yesterday morning, since he was driving, and this way 2 people knew the way. I read them, and they ended with "and Flint Baptist Church is right there". Um, okay? I just took it for what it was. Of course, we get to the church, and NOBODY is there. Why? Because the meeting was at the Noonday Community Center!! Ugh. I admit it, I had a breakdown. this is just so typical of my luck, ya know? I'm going WAY out of my comfort zone here, allowing myself to enter into an unknown environment, and I can't even call, because I don't have a phone, and I can't double check anything, because, well, I don't have a phone but I especially don't have one of those cool internet-linked phones. GAH! I remembered the original E-mail said "noonday Community Center", and, well, I knew where noonday was, so we headed that way. Now approximately 20 minutes late.

We stopped at the "blue store" on the corner of the US Hwy that goes towards lake Palestine (the one in Noonday, and Noonday is one of those "blink and you miss it" towns) so we stopped and asked where the community center was. and of course, it was Right Behind the Gas Station LOL.

So, alls well that ends well, I suppose. It seems like a lot of interesting people, and of Mr. Scarecrow is showing an interest in photography now, but it wasn't his original idea, it was Ms. Artsy Fartsy's, so I'm not 100% on his true commitment/excitement level, but we will see. Next month, for the October meeting, they are having a "photo contest" (very informal) for the professional photographer that is coming in to talk during the meeting. They came home wanting to start taking pics; I told them they had an entire month to think about it, and they needed to finish their math. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment