2014-2015

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Library Today...

I had made a list of books I wanted to get from the library, about 2 weeks ago. Boy, was I sorely disappointed at the books that were crossed off my list, not to be found at the library. I didn't get a lot of time to search; with 4 kids, 1 being a toddler and 1 being a newborn, I really just didn't have the ability to get lost in the stacks like I would love to do.

I found the "catalog" online, and that gave me the ability to do the search from home; so everytime I came across a book suggestion in The Well Trained Mind, or anywhere else I've been doing my research, then I could just immediately go to the library site and look it up. I think I found maybe 1 out of every 10 to 15 books I looked up. That was very disheartening, for sure. I began to feel like the only way I could do this was to order all these books off of Amazon, and as much as I would love to have an extensive library, I simply don't have that kind of money to spend on books.

I made it to the library today with my list in hand, and as I was searching for these particular books, I became excited by the choices that were there for me to browse. Unfortunately, I can't just browse the catalog online (or, if I can, I haven't figured out how) but looking for one particular book brought me to that specific subject section, and that one book would be surrounded by several other books on the same subject. I don't feel so disheartened anymore!! There were several in the reference area I wanted to get to look at, but we left after maybe 30 minutes due to baby crisis. I had enough time to gather everything on my list; I did not have time to sit and browse the references.

Here's my stash of finds from the library; I need to go through these and see which will be working for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment